Mozilla Thunderbird – is a fully featured, very functional, secure email client and RSS feed reader, created by Mozilla. It offers a pretty and streamlined interface to a very powerful email package and lets you handle mail efficiently and with style, and Thunderbird filters away junk mail too. Thunderbird 38 is a sophisticated and very well integrated Bayesian spam filter knocks out most junk mail (after some training). Combine these two aspects of Thunderbird, and you get a sensible feature that automatically sanitizes (potentially dangerous) HTML code and turns off remote images for spam or anything else – worms, viruses – you classify as bad mail. Though not perfect, a scam sensor detects tactics commonly used to fool users.
Flexible views, free-form tags and powerful filters, search and virtual folders (which also work fine with IMAP accounts and across email accounts) make it a snap to handle large amounts of mail. The integrated RSS feed reader extends these abilities to news.
Thunderbird 38, as a messaging system, is uniquely positioned as the tool that users can use to integrate as many of their communications as they want. By combining an open architecture, a powerful extensibility and customization framework, and a person-centric perspective on communications, Thunderbird is a powerful yet enjoyable tool to help individuals manage their online interactions – whether that’s email, instant messaging, social networking messages, or other types of message.
Thunderbird 38 will evolve to embrace the Web, by continuing to blur the distinction between what’s on the web and what’s on the desktop, while keeping in mind the importance of keeping the individual in charge of their online experience.
• Mozilla Thunderbird 38 manages multiple POP and IMAP email accounts and reads RSS feeds.
• A junk mail filter using Bayesian statistics cans spam automatically in Mozilla Thunderbird.
• Mail views, free-form message tags and flexible filters let you organize and prioritize good mail easily.
• Searches can be saved to virtual folders that automatically aggregate relevant mail in Thunderbird.
• Mozilla Thunderbird offers rich, but security and privacy conscious HTML formatting support.
• Mail classified as junk can automatically be sanitized, Thunderbird detects common scam tactics.
• S/MIME support lets you encrypt and sign mail in Mozilla Thunderbird (OpenPGP plug-in available).
• You can run Mozilla Thunderbird from a removable medium such as USB stick.
• Many extensions more allow Mozilla Thunderbird to expand its feature set or improve usability.
• Mozilla Thunderbird supports Windows, Mac OS and Linux.
* not available